Saturday, March 17, 2012

Point and Shoot Camera Neck Strap



I love taking pictures! And if you follow me on twitter (which you should, just click the button with the bird to the right) Then you know that I just got a new 1-hour battery charger for my camera. Usually it takes my camera battery 5 hours to charge! So if I don't prepare ahead of time there is no way I'm getting to take any pictures. 

In light of this new camera charger coming I decided to make a neck strap for my camera. The little wrist strap that came with it just doesn't cut it for me. If we're out and I'm chasing down a kid, or pushing someone on a swing, I can't have my camera on my wrist. But a neck strap is perfect for me!

I didn't measure the length I needed for the strap, and then ended up having to take it apart and add an extra piece for length. So measure out the length that's best for you before you cut anything! For me 35 inches was best. Cut two pieces of material 3 inches wide and half the length you measured. Sew those two pieces right sides together along the short side. Then sew it right sides together down the long side.


Turn it right side out.


Take apart the wrist strap that came with your camera. 



Cut down the end of your new strap so it can fit inside the plastic piece.

Slide the small string piece that wraps around the little bar on your camera, onto one of the new straps. 


Stitch a portion of the small piece of your strap closed. Then pull the stringy piece down and stitch the rest closed. I used a zigzag stitch so that I could sort of "fake a serge" around the edges. 


Now thread your strap through the plastic piece, I used a hair pin to pull it through, and attach it to your camera! 





What do you think?
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. this is an excellent project, especially since my poor point and shoot usually gets stuffed into my bag and the original strap broke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Let me know if you decide to make one, I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to leave a comment :o)