Friday, March 16, 2012

DIY: Pin Cushion Bracelet




I don't know about you but when I'm sewing, and pulling out pins, I struggle to stick the pin in my pin cushion. I end up having to stop and hold the pin cushion still, which is frustrating. Now maybe that only happens to me, but either way, I decided to make myself a pin cushion bracelet! You can make this in basically any shape you want but this tutorial is for the heart shaped one. I used fabric scraps that I had in my stash to make this, so if you have scraps this is a great way to use them up. Here's how I did it.

To start I folded a piece of fabric in half and pinned it so it wouldn't shift. Then I outlined half of a heart onto the fold of it.


Next I cut the heart out. Then I lined it up on another portion of the fabric (still on the fold), pinned it, and cut it.


I decided I wanted to add a decorative pocket so I took another fabric I had and started it out the same as I did for the other pieces. But instead of cutting out the whole shape I stopped short and cut across.







I ended up with three pieces like this.

 

Next I hemmed the top of the triangular piece (I only folded it over once because I didn't want it to be bulky).

 


Then I cut a piece of elastic to my wrist size, and stitched it to the back. I used a straight stitch, but I went back and forth a few times.



I'm not good at keeping my lines straight when I sew backwards lol 


After that I stitched the elastic closed. You can use a thinner elastic, elastic in a fabric casing, or even use fabric with velcro closures to make these. I just liked the look of the thick white elastic.

After that I layered the pieces. The front piece and the pocket piece I laid right side up. The back piece I put wrong side up. Then I pinned it and stitched up the whole thing leaving a small space at the bottom to turn it right side out.




 


Then I stuffed it and stitched the opening shut.


and that's it!


What do you think?



monogram


 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to leave a comment :o)